Wednesday, August 31, 2005

C'mon Terry

Already, the "Boss Man" as I like to call him has made an unbelievable comment.

Terry Douglass writes this in his post about the "ranking" of college coaches: Plus, here's a vote to rank McCarney a notch higher -- he does a very nice job with what he's got at Iowa State.

TD - is Dan sending you a monthly check? McCarney is 45-72 during his tenure at ISU. The Cyclone propoganda department does, however, like to point out he his 32-30 since 2000. Is this what the world is coming to? A .500 coach for the past five years is worth 4-stars? C'mon.

Granted, the guy could sell a popsicle to an eskimo and he is very media friendly, a great interview, all those good things. But, let's not make him a 4 out of 5 star coach. Frankly, these ratings seem funny. How Gary Pinkel, Mark Mangino, Guy Morriss (and Callahan for that matter) get three stars is beyond me. Heck, Mike Gundy hasn't even coached a game and he's worth 3-stars. Odd.

Put it this way -- if McCarney was a 4-star coach wouldn't they have smoked Mizzou in there house last year to go to the Big 12 championship game. I think so.

Posted by Tony Chapman @ Wednesday, August 31, 2005 ||

Comments:
Chaps, are you kidding me. Don't bring Dan McCarney's overall record into this. He was dealing with total slop when he first got to Iowa State. He's taking ISU to four bowl games in the past five years. This is IOWA STATE we're talking about here.

If Mac had as much talent as some of the other top-level Big 12 schools, he'd be mentioned in the same breath as Mack Brown and Bob Stoops. Have you ever been to Ames, Iowa? Anyone who can recruit a decent D-I player to come there must be a genius.
Posted by Blogger Terry Douglass : 9:44 PM
 
TD - I have been to Ames and you're right, that place is a dump. But just because he can recruit doesn't make him a coaching genius.

The problem here may be that these other coaches are ranked too high. I mean I can see what you are saying in that how can you put Mangino, Morris and Mike Gundy on the same level as McCarney. I believe that is a mistake.

Maybe we need to drop some guys and leave McCarney as a 3-star guy.

I'd rank the Big 12 coaches like this: Stoops 5-stars, Brown four, Snyder, Barnett, Francione, Leach, McCarney three, Callahan (I'll get lynched for this, but he has to prove it this year), Mangino, Pinkel, Morris and Gundy as 2-stars.

I still don't see how you can rank Gundy.
Posted by Blogger Tony Chapman : 9:55 PM
 
"I'd rank the Big 12 coaches like this: Stoops 5-stars, Brown four, Snyder, Barnett, Francione, Leach, McCarney three, Callahan (I'll get lynched for this, but he has to prove it this year), Mangino, Pinkel, Morris and Gundy as 2-stars." Mr. Chapman

For what it's worth, I agree - For Coach Gundy however, what about "n/a" until this time next year ??
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:49 AM
 
Jerry - Don't call me Mr. Chapman; that's my dad's name. You can call be Tony.

I'm with you, however, I figured Terry would make me rank Gundy. ;-)

At any rate, I don't have a problem with putting an N/A by Mike Gundy's name.

Thanks for reading the blog!
Posted by Blogger Tony Chapman : 9:42 PM
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


HuskersHQ BLogger Network

Previous Posts

Archives

Links

2006 Husker Schedule